Saturday, March 5, 2011

When Your Husband Gets Home

When our kids were young, our neighbor across the street commented to me that he thought it was nice that I sat outside with the kids and waited for my husband to get home.  I honestly did not think much about it.  When the weather was nice I would sit on the back porch with our dog and the kids would be playing.  We lived on a corner lot and our driveway was situated as such that in order for us to have a completely fenced in back yard we had to open a gate to the drive way.  In general; weather good or bad I would try to listen and look for my husband and run out and open the gate for him. 

I was listening to David Jeremiah today and he was talking about how it is important for a man to feel welcomed when he gets home from work.  I am sure my neighbor across the street knew how important it was for my husband to feel welcomed to his home and that is why he made the comment. 

I tried to make him feel welcome by doing a few simple things.  I would make sure the house was picked up, and depending on his work schedule have dinner started or at least planned, the kids all taken care of and save the 'problems' of the day for later conversation if possible.  Aunt Judy used to say, "take care of the disciplining of the children before your husband gets home, he should not have to deal with that after working all day."  She of course was right.  Very seldom did my husband hear about the 'bad' things the kids did during the day, because I took care of it before he got home.  Only for very severe offenses was he brought into it. 

Now my husband has a torn rotator cuff, and he is in pain when he gets home.  I usually say hi and give him a kiss; after that he usually gets a Coke, takes some pain medicine and goes in his study to play on his computer.  I am not offended by it because I know it is how he deals with the pain.  He eventually comes out of his cave, I mean study in a few hours and then we talk.  Me giving him his space is welcoming to him.

I remember my Grandma always welcoming my Grandpa when he got home.  She gave him a kiss and then my Grandpa would sit down in the kitchen and take off his boots.  She often times would have dinner on the table.  It is a wonderful memory.  I hope I gave our kids the same memory of their mom welcoming their Dad when he got home from a long day at work. 

Welcoming your husband home from work is an easy, effective way to show him and your children, that you love and respect him.  It also sets up the tone for the evening.  Save your disagreements or issues for later in the evening.

Proverbs 31:11  Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

No comments:

Post a Comment