Monday, March 7, 2011

Jonah

It does not take a rocket scientist or an economics wizard to see that our nation is heading toward destruction.  It is only a matter of time; we are borrowing more than we take in, our governments solution is to print more money and spend our way out of debt.  When it became pretty obvious where our country was heading, there was an awakening of a sleeping giant, and normally mild mannered citizens who lived their lives quietly decided to get up and protest and say "NO MORE".  The government and all of the powers that be basically ignored what the people were saying.  Then the elections of 2010 happened and the Republicans got the house majority and got rid of a lot of high spending democrats in the senate.  Many states elected fiscally responsible Governor's who are willing to do what it takes to get their states out of debt and balance the budgets.  The press has been trying its hardest to deceive the American public, but in the end they are even admitting that we are in trouble.  It really is scary.

There are many people in the government who feel like they were called by God to serve and stand in the gap for such a time is this.  I believe God did call them to be where they are, but I don't think they are the solution.  I don't think the Tea Party is the solution.  I don't think Rush, Glenn or Sean are the solution either.  I think the solution is found in Jonah.

Jonah 3:4-10 On the first day, Jonah started into the city.  He proclaimed:  "Forty more days and Nineveh will be overturned."  The Ninevites believed God.  They declared a fast, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.  When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the dust.  Then he issued a proclamation in Nineveh:  "By the decree of the king and his nobles:  Do not let any man or beast, herd or flock, taste anything; do not let them eat or drink.  But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth.  Let everyone call urgently on God.  Let them give up their evil ways and their violence.  Who knows?  God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish."  When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened.

Our countries answer does not start at the top, it starts with you.  Revivial starts with me coming to terms with my pride and looking more at what the world wants than what God wants.  After me, then it comes to my family, and after my family comes church, and after church comes my neighborhood, and after my neighborhood comes my city, and after my city comes my state, and after my state comes my country.  If you say you love your country and want to do whatever it takes to bring it back to where it should be, look in the mirror, because it starts with you.  Are you willing to humble yourself and repent to save our nation??

I think our nation is worth it.  I think God thinks so too.

Jonah 4:10-11 But the Lord said, "You have been concerned about this vine, though you did not tend it or make it grow.  It sprang up overnight and died overnight.  But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well.  Should I not be concerned about that great city?"

No comments:

Post a Comment