Friday, March 4, 2011

Be Still

Exodus 14:14 'The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.'  That verse is stated right before Moses holds out his staff and the Red Sea parts.  Realize that before God parts the Red Sea he has the Israelites boxed in with the Egyptians chasing after them and no where to go but through the flooded Red Sea.  What does God have Moses do??  He tells him to stop crying out and hold out his staff.  It does not make much sense, but then faith usually does not make sense.  There is usually oppostion, complaining by others and crying out by the person who is choosing to walk by faith. 

This week in my devotions God has been really laying upon my heart to 'be still'.  It sounds easier than it is to do.  I have had some opposition at home and I have been doing some crying out, but the message this week has been clear 'you need only to be still.'  Waiting is not an easy thing to do; being still goes against every fleshly, practical part of me. 

I noticed one thing about being still, and that is to be still and have my eyes on God it is peaceful; the opposite is also true.  My worry gland went crazy when I was not being still and focusing on God.  I listened to Chuck Swindoll who was talking about the trials of Christians and going through 1 Peter; I knew something bad was going to happen.  I heard about the two airmen being killed in Germany and texted my son in England and asked if he was ok.  I could go on but it is quite embarassing and sinful. 

Sometimes when God has us go to battle he wants to use us to fight, and other times He wants us to be still and watch Him fight the battles.  The main thing is to find out His battle plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment