Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rejection

No one likes to feel rejected.  It is actually one of the things that I have a hard time with.  I don't enjoy failure, but I have learned that if I fail and gave it my all that it is better than not trying at all.  There is an old saying that says "He who has never failed has done nothing."  Rejection on the other hand is something I have a hard time with.

I even like to beat people to the punch when it comes to rejection, either cut off the relationship or quit the job etc.. 

Tuesday I had the privelege of subbing for the 3-5 year old class.  The afternoon teacher was sick, so I subbed for her.  I always expect the kids to misbehave a bit with me, because I am a sub and they are used to their regular teacher and schedule. 

I know most of the children at the preschool I sub at.  I have had most of them at one time or another either being their teacher or subbing.  On Tuesday there was a 4 year old little boy whom I have had off and on in the past few years.  When he was 2 everyone knew his name, and it was because he constantly needed correcting.  He really does have a huge heart, but he wants all of your attention.  As he has grown his behavior has improved immensely.  Yes he still has his days and has to be reminded, but in general he can be fun in the classroom.

Tuesday this little boy gave me lots of trouble.  The best word to describe his behavior was he was being a little terror.  He did things in which I had not seen in a long time from him.  I ended up having to physically set him down and put my leg on him so he would not tear up the classroom and hurt himself or others.  After he settled down I finally asked him what was wrong.  I told him I was sad and did not know why he was acting this way.  He looked at me and told me that he missed his regualr teacher.  When he told me that I was able to understand and piece everything together. 

The little boy has always had a special bond to the afternoon teacher and normally that would not affect him in such a way, but his Daddy just left his Mommy, and I think the thought of being rejected by a teacher too was too much for him.  I explained that the teacher was sick and that she still loves him very much, that I was just there that day until she could come back.

As an adult I do not deal with rejection very well, and I think it is even harder for a child to deal with it.  Sometimes we just don't see things the same way as a child does.

Mark 10:14  "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment