Thursday, October 28, 2010

Selling it

I was talking to my Aunt Judy this weekend (she stopped by for a visit).  She was telling me about a mutual friend who was going through a tough time financially.  Her family ended up losing their house and they are not living in circumstances they would like to be in.  Aunt Judy was saying that she thought the whole situation was affecting the children.  I agreed with her.  Things like losing a home, a job, a loved one or a marriage do affect the children and it does bring added stress to them. 

Children do not know how to deal with the stress and emotions they feel.  Often times it comes out with behavioral issues or living in their own little world.  Life is stressful and eventually some of that stress will affect your child.

I don't think many parents realize that their child's stress is often a reaction to the parents stress and the not knowing what is going to happen next.  If handled in a prayerful and intentional way a parent can help their child deal with the stress and react in a more positive manner.  The parent needs to sell it to the child.

I will give an example.  When our children were young we sold our house and ended up living in a less than inviting apartment.  I did not see any roaches, but I was always on the look out for them.  I did not like the apartment, but I sold it to the kids.  I took them to the park every morning (not even a playground at this place) got to know some of my neighbors and cooked on the dinky apartment sized stove.  Our kids did not know that I was not thrilled with the place we lived, I made a strong effort to make lemonade out of the lemons we were living in.

Much worse things than living in a less than desirable apartment can affect families, but keep in mind that your reaction to your circumstances affects your children and then sell it to yourself so you can sell it to your children. Your children and you will have a much better chance of overcoming the circumstances if you have this mind set.

Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked.  Proverbs 3:25

No comments:

Post a Comment