Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The One You Are Stuck With

When my Aunt Judy stopped by last week she was telling me that her brother and sister in law like for her and her husband George to travel with them.  She said the reason why they like for Judy and George to travel with them is because they have fun.  My Aunt Judy has had a great marriage and the reason why it has been great is because she has worked at it and made it fun.  She used to remind me often that our kids will grow up and then it will be me and my husband again and that I should not neglect our marriage.  Now that our kids are grown and gone Aunt Judy was right.  I am glad that she kept reminding me, because right now God has blessed our empty nest.

When I observe some of the good marriages the one thing I notice that they all have in common is that they have fun.  My Grandma and Grandpa had a wonderful marriage and they had fun together.  My Grandma told me that when my Dad was little my Grandpa used to tease her that her cake was hard as a rock (it wasn't my Grandma was a great cook).  One day when my Grandma was getting ready to serve him some cake, he had to go to the basement and fix the furnace; while he was in the basement my grandma frosted a wooden block and set it on the plate.  When my Grandpa came up from fixing the furnace he had a saw in his hand and asked where his cake was.  My Grandma told me that story with a smile on her face and what a wonderful (and funny) memory.

Raising kids is time consuming and energy draining, but don't forget to have fun with "the one you are stuck with", because you are stuck with him for the rest of your life so you might as well enjoy it.  As you have fun together you are growing roots that can go deeper so that when the storms of life come your family tree can stand strong. 

Proverbs 31:11-12 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.  She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment