Friday, September 24, 2010

Training

I am a black belt.  I earned my black belt by training hard.  I have been teaching and training in tae kwon do for over 15 years.  It amazes me sometimes how the tae kwon do moves become a natural part of me with out me putting much thought or effort into what I am doing. 

It took me about 3 years and thousands of kicks and moves to earn my black belt.  I did not earn my black belt without wonderful instructors who taught me, corrected me and encouraged me when I needed it.  When I tested for my black belt I was not alone, my husband and our two sons tested with me also.  We together as a family trained and tested for our black belts.  It was an individual accomplishment for each of us, but at the same time we shared it. 

The Bible says "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."  Training takes time and repetition.  I did not earn my black belt by doing hundreds of kicks, or thousands of kicks, I earned my black belt by doing tens of thousands of kicks.  I did not go to class once a week, I went to class 4-5 times a week.  I did not just practice tae kwon do in the dojang, I practiced at home and on my own time.

I often hear parents say I already corrected my child on this and they are still doing it.  Training takes time, repetition and commitment to complete the task.  It is not easy, but training brings great rewards.  It usually takes hundreds if not thousands of corrections and teaching your child the right way; to train your child the way he or she should go. 

Just like I could not have earned my black belt without committed instructors who already earned their black belts; so a parent needs to teach, correct and encourage their child to train them in the way they should go.  I have found I have learned more about tae kwon do by teaching than I ever did training.  I think the same is true for parenting.  As you teach your child the way he or she should go, you see also that you may need to redirect your path.

Training takes time, consistency and commitment.  The rewards are often delayed, but well worth it.

Proverbs 22:6  Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment