Thursday, December 16, 2010

Your Actions

Corrie Ten Boom lived in a concentration camp for several years and survived.  Her parents were strong Christians who always opened their house and their dinner table to anyone who had need or just dropped by.  They did not have much money and often times had to add more water to their soup to feed anyone who showed up.  After Corrie was miraculously released from the concentration camp she often stayed and lived off of the hospitality of others.  Corrie believed that God was honoring what her parents had done and was blessing Corrie because of it.

Just a few days ago Bernie Madoff's son committed suicide.  He and his brother were likely to be named in a lawsuit because of what Bernie had done.  Not only was he going to be named in the lawsuit, but so was his 2 year old son.  I am guessing that Bernie would like to hit a redo button, but what he did affected his whole family.  The son who committed suicide was the one who turned in his Dad and after Bernie was arrested he no longer had contact with him.  He was recently told not to have contact with his mom.

Both situations are a bit extreme, but the same principal still applies.  My Dad was a good guy, a State Trooper, and my oldest brother was a rebellious teenager.  After my Dad died my brother got in trouble with the law more than once.  Many people went to bat for my brother, not because his actions deserved it, but because he was my Dad's son.

As a parent your actions with others will often be felt by your children.  You may not see it at first, but your children may benefit from it long after you are gone.

Psalm 37:25-26 I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging for bread.  They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment