Friday, December 17, 2010

Stand

I have done a lot of research on what the Bible says about self defense and one word sums it up, stand.  That same concept goes for disciplining your children.  You do not need to be on the offense or the defence, you just need to stand and be immovable about your position.

Standing starts when your child is young and continues all through their growing years.  I will give an example; your little two year old wants a drink of water and points to a cup and grunts, you tell your child (who does know how to talk) "say water please."  Your child says "no" or points and grunts again, you again tell your child, "say water please".  You stand by not giving your child the drink of water until your child says "water please."  As your child grows your standing will encompass different things.  "You can go outside and play as soon as you clean your room."  When you do stand your child may scream, throw a fit or just won't do what you ask them to do.  Example if your child does not clean their room and they don't go outside to play you may tighten your stand and say no TV or dinner until your room is clean.  You keep your stand until your child moves and does what he or she was told to do.

Standing does not require you to raise your voice or spank.  It is a matter of keeping your position as an authority in your childs life.  When and if your child throws a fit they are fighting more with themselves than they are fighting you.  Do not escalate your stand by raising your voice or spanking.  Your child may try to escalate it, but don't take the bait, just stand and do not move.  They may say mean and nasty things, but stay calm and after your child does what he or she is supposed to do then you can talk to them about their actions when they tried to defy what you said. 

I have been a Christian for over 25 years and standing is often times how God deals with me.  He never moves and sometimes tightens my circle, until I do what He wants me to do.  I may try to fight it, but I am really fighting myself not God.  When I do finally give in I feel much better knowing that God is stronger than me and it makes me feel secure to be in His care.  By you standing you are teaching your child that you are stronger than them and they are secure in your care.

2 Thessalonians 2:15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment