Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sins of Our Parents

I had an interesting conversation today with a young mother.  She was having several personal issues and she was complaining that she was not getting the support of her Mom.  I met this woman about six months ago and she was saying the same thing; that she did not have the support she needed or wanted from her mother.  I was honest with her and I told her she probably will never get that support.  I think she knew I was telling the truth. 

My purpose in visiting this young single mother was she visited church and then she left before the service was over.  I was concerned for her and her children and wanted her to know that she was welcome at church and that we were there for her if she wanted.  I don't know if she will accept our help or not, that is her choice, but there are several people including me that would like to help her if she wants it.

As a parent I know I am not perfect and I am not always available.  When I was raising our sons I knew I needed help and wisdom.  My mom was not always the best resource, but that was when I turned to my Aunt Judy.  My Aunt Judy was able to fill in the spaces that my mom could not fill.  Sometimes your mom is not available or even interested in helping you, but if you look and ask I am sure that there is a mature woman who has raised her children that would love to help you, give you advice and just be there to listen.

My daughter-in-law lost her mom a little over a year ago; I am sure she misses her every day.  When God blesses her with children I am sure she will miss her mom even more. I know that she is already building relationships with women at her church who are parents, so she will have the relationships she will need when she wants the advice, help or just someone to listen (I also hope she looks to her mother-in-law). 

Your mom may not always be there, look and pray for some other women to help, listen and give advice.  You don't have to tackle the mom thing on your own.

As a side note I know a lot of older godly women who would love to come along side young mothers, they just need to be asked. 

Titus 2:3-5 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent int he way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.  Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment