Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lesson Learned From A Two Year Old

I had the privelege of being in the 2 year old room for a few hours this week.  It is always fun and exhausting; to put it mildly, you never know what will happen.  For those of you who have never had the privelege of teaching in a 2 year old room, I will explain some of the basic rules.  The ratio of 2 year old children to teacher is; 1 teacher to 8 children.  All of the toys in the room are the teachers toys and she lets her friends (the 2 year olds) play with her toys.  Because all of the toys are the teachers toys it gives the teacher the authority over the toys.  The main goal of the classroom sometimes is to make sure the 2 year olds don't kill each other.  Because most 2 year olds are not potty trained you have to change a lot of diapers.
Now that you have a basic understanding of the 2 year old class, I would like to share a lesson I learned from a 2 year old.  I was changing a diaper.  When changing a diaper I make sure I can keep my eyes on the other children.  I noticed one child (we shall call him C) threw a plastic apple accross the room (that is against the rules).  As the apple went flying accross the room another child (we shall call him D) was playing nicely at the table with a car.  D saw the plastic apple go flying accross the room and got up to get the apple and take it back to C.  As D got up to get the apple, C noticed the car on the table and grabbed it and was on his way to go play with the car D had.  D came back and saw that C had the car.  D was mad and he took the apple and had it in a throwing position that was aimed at C.  When I saw this I asked D to give me the apple and I would get his car back for him.  D heard me (I said it several times).  D slowly put down the apple and then he got a look on his face and handed the apple to C, and C gave D the car.  I was impressed.

What is the lesson I learned??  Just as in a 2 year old room God owns everything (because it is really His), and when we have something that we value (such as the car D had) and we do what is right (such as going to get the apple) and then someone takes what we value (such as C took the car) we do not have the right to serve our own justice (such as D throwing the apple at C) we need to trust God will make it right (such as letting me get the car back) or do it His way (which is to give C a chance to give back the car and D giving the apple to C).

I hope this story is not too confusing, but it is a lesson I learned from a 2 year old and I wanted to share it.  Also Stacey is an awesome 2 year old teacher, she has a true gift.

Proverbs 5:21 For a man's ways arre in full view of the Lord, and he examines all his paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment