Saturday, January 1, 2011

Reading

One of the greatest joys I had as a mother was reading to our children.  I have to credit Aunt Judy for this great joy.  When our children were young Aunt Judy asked me if I was reading to them and I said a little, but they did not seem to like it.  She explained to me that when I 'read' to the children I don't have to read the words that the author used, I could just point to the pictures and talk about it.  When she told me that it opened a whole new world to me and our children.

It was a little difficult for me to be begin with but the more I 'read' the better I got at it.  I started using my imagination along with our children as I read them books.  When they were very young I would sometimes read the words, but add actions to it as I read; an example would be if the story had a blue flower picture I would read the words, but then we would all smell the blue flower.  By me adding my imagination to the books I read it kept our children's interest and gave us precious quality time.

As they grew my reading style would change.  When they were getting old enough to recognize letters I would point out words and often times I would read exactly what the author wrote so they would begin to get the connection to start reading.

When they were old enough to read on their own I made sure they had a Bible comic book.  I wanted them to see Bible characters as hero's and it also broke it down to their language.  Comic's was again my Aunt Judy's idea.  I felt blessed to get the Bible comic book.

I would also read to the kids when they ate their lunch.  Sometimes kids just can not sit long enough to read to, so if they are occupied eating it can give you an opportunity to read to them.  They are still 'wiggling' by eating, but you have their attention enough to get a story or two down them.

We would go to the library once a week.  I would let the kids pick out some books, and I would get some books that I wanted to read.  I even read books on reading books to your children.  One of the rules of finding a good children's book to read is that it should be a book that keeps your interest too.  Just because a book has won an award or is highly recommended by the world's standards does not mean that it is a good book to read your children.  Use your discretion and don't feel bad about it.

As our children grew I would read chapter books to them  I read our children The Narnia Chronicles, The Hobbit and Little House on the Prairie series.  I would also read to them directly from the Bible.  I would often say I am only going to read one chapter, but then one chapter became 2 and 3 chapters. 

Reading to our children was a true blessed experience for all of us.  It was just us, a book and our imagination.  Unplugged quality time to learn and enjoy each other.

Proverbs 10:5  He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment