Saturday, June 2, 2012

Lose One Gain Seven

I am blessed this year with being the director of VBS (Vacation Bible School).  As I was looking over the list of volunteers for VBS I was reminded of God's greater provision. 

A few years ago L. was a Sunday school teacher in the room I was responsible for.  She was a great teacher who was responsible, on time, prepared and always happy.  We had a once every three month rotation and I was either helping or teaching the other two months.  Because of L.'s consistency I was able to get a break one month out of three.  I would get opportunities to talk to L. and she told me that she did not feel comfortable teaching the age group she was teaching.  She felt more comfortable working with the teens. Her and her husband are high school teachers.  At the time our church did not have much of a youth group.  Our church is rebuilding and there was not much of a need for a youth group or youth leader.  When L. would talk about working with the teens her eyes would light up and she would get so excited.  The thought of a youth group looked like a far away dream for her.

Then one Sunday (the Sunday before she was supposed to teach in my class) L. came to my Sunday school classroom all excited.  Her husband had decided that they should lead the youth group.  They were going to start the next Sunday.  She could not do her month.  I was very excited for her, but I knew that her leaving meant I would not get a break from teaching for a while. 

The youth group took off like a wildfire.  L. and her husband have seen God's hand of blessing upon their ministry.  From their blessing I have been very blessed and so has our children's ministry.  By L. moving from my Sunday school class to the youth group our children's ministry has acquired 3 helpers for Sunday school and seven volunteers for VBS.

I had no power to hold L. back from leaving my Sunday school room.  By her leaving I ended up working in the Sunday school room for about a year without a break.  I knew the extra work was temporary but I never would have guessed at the blessings that would come from L. leaving.

Sometimes God wants us to give up or lose one, but that one leaving can turn into more than you ever imagined.

Ecclesiastes 11:1  Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment